Thursday, November 5, 2009

remember remember the 5th of November!!



I didn't write a post yesterday as I had a rough day in work and needed to lick my wounds (with the help of a good friend).
Anyway it is bonfire night or bommy night as we called it back in Liverpool. They do celebrate 'Guy Fawkes' night over here. A funny story, a friend (pom) of mine once told me that a kiwi friends of hers was telling her about Guy Fawkes and how he tried to blow up 'The Beehive' (which is the nickname for the houses of Parliament over here) and no matter how much my friends tried to tell her the history behind it, she wouldn't have it!!!! With this in mind I did the history bit with my trainees, they loved the bit about the hung, drawn and quartered (rolleyes here).
So we bought our fireworks (they only allow them to be bought 4 days a year - well done on that one New Zealand) from the warehouse (big store over here) and we said the same as last year and the year before, that most of them were a load of rubbish, so note to self DO NOT BUY THEM FROM THE WAREHOUSE NEXT YEAR!!.
It's still not right to me not to be wrapped up with hat and scarf when watching them and having to wait till well after 8.00 to set them off because it's still daylight till then. Still had fun though and Key was pleased as we let him (don't panic mum he was fine)light them this year.









7 comments:

  1. Good to hear you had fun. I love your firework photos and I hope work goes a bit better today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pics.....and amazing how history can be totally rewritten!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll be having bommy night tonight! Any idea where I'm from??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous firework photos and I love your blog banner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just hopped off the train for a visit fab firework photos we are going to a local display tomorrow hope to get some then

    ReplyDelete
  6. great pics of the fireworks! mine never turn out! lol

    ReplyDelete