Tuesday, November 10, 2009

another reason why I love this country.


Tonight Key performed with the string group at his school's awards/leavers service, it was held at the Cathedral in Hamilton. Now Key has also performed at both the Cathedral in Liverpool and here lies the difference, I was never allowed to take any photos of him performing in these magnificent buildings. I have no visual record of this and as a scrapbooker to me that is a crime. The reason being is the 'stupid' law/rule whatever that you are not allowed to take photos of children in a public place. That used to wind me right up!! I know why but I hated the fact that everyone gets 'tarred with the same brush'. Anyway there wasn't even a passing thought this evening that someone would stop me taking a photo of my beloved son in a proud mummy moment, in fact the teacher was laughing that the only hassle was that Key was embarrassed that I was taking his piccy ("that's my mum" I heard him moan at one stage). So anyway I am glad that I live in a country that is sane and let's a mum be proud of her children and want to record that precious moment, OK they don't know that it will be on bazzill cardstock with the latest design from basic grey or cosmo cricket and lots of embellishments surrounding it. At least I have one photo to stand for the rest of the other ones I wasn't able to capture. Sweet as - New Zealand.
** stands off soapbox
Although we couldn't stay for the full mass and service, it was lovely to see the 'men' (these were the year 13 - 18 years olds) looking smart and seeing some of them dressed in traditional dress, some of them had lava-lava (a skirt like piece of clothing) on with their blazers and some had Leis on. They were welcomed into the Cathedral with a Maori welcome and haka too. Another reminder that I live in another part of the world.







5 comments:

  1. How wonderful to be able to capture this precious moment. I bet the whole thing was a wonderful spectacle with the traditional costumes

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were able to get his picture! I've never heard of a law against taking photos of children in public. I'm glad we don't have a law like that (that I'm aware of)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be arrested a lot if I lived somewhere with that law. It is sad that we are all punished because of a few people. I liked reading about the event, those mom moments are so special. Now that my kids are grown they tell others about their mom making such a big deal about all activities, but they say it with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. Tammy that's one of the many reason why we moved here for my kids (and us) to have a better (freer/safe) lifestyle even if it meant leaving all our loved ones behind. Kia ora peeps.

    ReplyDelete